Jump to content
Tazarr

Dilemmas of the Formation kind !

Recommended Posts

So having allways played 3 at the back formations im now curious about a 4 man back line.

Main thing that allways put me off was that the fullbacks p**s off up the pitch and you get left exposed and with only 2 CBs to try and rectify the situation.

So basically wondering a few things about the 4 man defence.

First up , is it worth playing 2 DMFs to cover for the FBs when they go awol ?

Would playing 2 wide midfielders or wing forwards null the affect of the full back ?

Importantly - I would prefer to play a CM at full back as they tend to have the right stats for how I like to play , would this be further suicide on top of the roaming problem ? (if they dont have full back as a registered position)

Any info / advice out there lads to help the potential transition ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tazarr said:

So having allways played 3 at the back formations im now curious about a 4 man back line.

Main thing that allways put me off was that the fullbacks p**s off up the pitch and you get left exposed and with only 2 CBs to try and rectify the situation.

So basically wondering a few things about the 4 man defence.

First up , is it worth playing 2 DMFs to cover for the FBs when they go awol ?

Would playing 2 wide midfielders or wing forwards null the affect of the full back ?

Importantly - I would prefer to play a CM at full back as they tend to have the right stats for how I like to play , would this be further suicide on top of the roaming problem ? (if they dont have full back as a registered position)

Any info / advice out there lads to help the potential transition ?

 

Put the defensive advanced tactic on both the fullbacks - stops them roaming up the pitch 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wheresmark said:

Put the defensive advanced tactic on both the fullbacks - stops them roaming up the pitch 

yea but does that mean they never join the attack at all ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use the wing back advanced tactic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy defensive fullbacks, they stay back and tend to join attacks progressively instead of aggressively, and when you want one to make a run just tell them to do a manual one, works wonders.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brizzle said:

Use the wing back advanced tactic 

that would work on the full back or a wide player further up the pitch ? :g:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tazarr said:

yea but does that mean they never join the attack at all ?

Not ever at all, they stay with your back line though.  If you play a close possession game with a really short player support then they will naturally come higher up the pitch with the rest of the defence to offer a short pass option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tazarr said:

yea but does that mean they never join the attack at all ?

They'll never go over halfway line, so that's a bit s**t imo, if you want passing options deeper in the oppositions half. 

You could always switch the instruction ON/OFF, but can be a pain in the ass in the middle of a game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unleash the fullbacks man, they’re key to controlling a game 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t use DMF mate. DMF give the FB’s the reason to go up to join attack.

Or use the advanced instructions. But i prefer using a CMF and not use defensive advanced instructions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, tezombie said:

Buy defensive fullbacks, they stay back and tend to join attacks progressively instead of aggressively, and when you want one to make a run just tell them to do a manual one, works wonders.

Like tezombie said, Defensive fullbacks combined with making manual runs can be extremely effective (although they tend to be a rare breed in comparison to the amount of offensive fullbacks in the game). 

Being adept at switching advanced options ON/OFF on the fly is very important and can not be underestimated (much like changing att/def levels on the fly) in my opinion this will certainly give you an upper hand over many of your opponents.

Another option, depending on how you setup your team, you can use the fluid formation option and have your more defensive minded midfielders positioning themselves wider to plug gaps left by your advancing full backs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deploy and utilise players with the Destroyer trait to close those gaps..... such as Mark Noble 😁👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wheresmark said:

 

In style 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ParrishJ said:

Unleash the fullbacks man, they’re key to controlling a game 

This, if done right. Key is that you pull your DMF or CMF back manually when getting countered to close down space, keep your CBs in position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playing with fullbacks (one offensive card, and before that two) don't feel they leave me exposed tbh, they get back well. Only if you are playing a cheapsweat like Mark who puts countertarget on his wingers and smashes it long towards them as quickly as possible can it be an issue but can be countered using defensive on your fullbacks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so a bit of an update.

Tried a 433 formation using wing forwards and had a delve with the advanced instructions

False full backs

Wing rotation

Wing back

Defensive (on the DMF)

It was Frillypink going forward for possesion but seemed to have to wait for the wing forwards to get back in possesion and they were very very wide.

Defensively it was fine but the main issue was with false full backs and wingback i wasnt getting the width :lol:

 

Now tried it again ditching the wingback instruction and it seems a lot more fluid , seeing that offensive players can do a job at full back too which is Frillypink.

Next step is to try it with false winger to see how well they come inside.

Some Frillypink info in here though , cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its about mentality imo. Check your first post, you are only worried about defense and being vulnerable at the back...

You can try and think the opposite way. You have more attacking options and thus more danger in attack, if done well you are the one in charge. The most influental footballer ever once said: if we have the ball, the opponent cant score. Basically attack is your best defense.

Trust me, I got 6 points in the prem after my 5-4 and 4-3 win :ohyeah:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would leave advanced instructions alone for now and just get to grips with the setup in a 433 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tazarr said:

so a bit of an update.

Tried a 433 formation using wing forwards and had a delve with the advanced instructions

False full backs

Wing rotation

Wing back

Defensive (on the DMF)

It was Frillypink going forward for possesion but seemed to have to wait for the wing forwards to get back in possesion and they were very very wide.

Defensively it was fine but the main issue was with false full backs and wingback i wasnt getting the width :lol:

 

Now tried it again ditching the wingback instruction and it seems a lot more fluid , seeing that offensive players can do a job at full back too which is Frillypink.

Next step is to try it with false winger to see how well they come inside.

Some Frillypink info in here though , cheers!

You won't get width using false fullbacks they move into the centre when attacking to swell the midfield hence the name false fullbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved a 352 back in the day during my PESRankings days. Seemed a great possession formation. 

I tend to pick 41212/4231 formations. More possession based ones. Never been good at skills etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Tazarr said:

Next step is to try it with false winger to see how well they come inside.

Something you may not like, if you don't like fullbacks being offensive, is that the false winger tactic naturally encourages more fullback overlapping. It's why false winger/attacking fullbacks is a useful attacking option, imo.

21 hours ago, Zakremoor said:

The most influental footballer ever once said: if we have the ball, the opponent cant score.

When did Jack Wilshere say that?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Zakremoor said:

The most influental footballer ever once said: if we have the ball, the opponent cant score. Basically attack is your best defense.

Trust me, I got 6 points in the prem after my 5-4 and 4-3 win :ohyeah:

Not always black and white 

aYFRj.jpg

A wise manager once said "football, bloody hell" 

  • Awesome! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2018 at 10:08 PM, tezombie said:

Not always black and white 

aYFRj.jpg

A wise manager once said "football, bloody hell" 

What a game that was though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zakremoor said:

What a game that was though

Yeah indeed reminded me of when I used to play FIFA years ago :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

About PEN

Pro Evo Network is a community founded in 2004 to take the game of PES and combine it with a transfer market where you negotiate with other PES gamers to achieve the best team possible.

Support PEN

Help ensure PEN is around for the long haul and gain a few League Perks in the process, become a Pro Evo Network VIP.

VIP Signup
×