Jdickinson91

From Fifa to PES

Alright guys like the title says I'm going to be moving from fifa to PES this year. I'm sure you all are aware about how bad fifa has become! 

So my question is, can you guys tell me what was good, bad and downright ugly from the 2018 edition? So far from what I've played it plays extremely well (none of this ping pong passing like fifa) 

• Awesome! 2

On 7/31/2018 at 8:10 PM, Jdickinson91 said:

Alright guys like the title says I'm going to be moving from fifa to PES this year. I'm sure you all are aware about how bad fifa has become! 

So my question is, can you guys tell me what was good, bad and downright ugly from the 2018 edition? So far from what I've played it plays extremely well (none of this ping pong passing like fifa) 

Welcome to the forum mate. 

I'm not the best person to respond to this, since it's been several years since I played FIFA. Guys like @Mowgles and @FiftyShadesMCFC recently came over to here from a sister site/league for FIFA that we had, so they may be more qualified to tell you the differences. But I can detail a few things off the top of my head. 

I've just managed to get a mate into PES, and one thing he's cited (formerly FIFA player) is the passing being more free. You often hear that. But it's kind of ironic, because those who have been playing the game for years feel it's going in the FIFA direction: lots more handholding. 

Also, you hear PES fans complain about "ping pong" a lot too! Much of that comes from online play (myClub – the equivalent of FUT –and the Online Divisions mode), where there aren't strict filters for passing assistance. Some users increase the level to 2 or 3 from the default 1, and then that allows them to play a sweaty 1-2 ping pong game if they choose. (YouTube search for the PES League finals – all the pros do it...) 

So yeah, it's probably less ping pong than FIFA on default settings, and it certainly is less like that in the league here, but in general online – your mileage will vary. 

That fits into both "good" and "ugly", I guess. 

A major difference between FIFA and PES is contextual design philosophy. In FIFA, the game is designed so that button presses determine output, without being mediated too much by other elements. (You can see that with the introduction of the new double press mechanic they're showing off atm.)

In PES, everything depends on context: what's your player's pace? Their balance? Their stats? How fast is the ball coming towards them? These contextual factors will determine whether you will take a quick shot, or whether your player will take a touch first (something that does annoy many people). Same with shielding: you'll set it off in the right circumstances, given contextual features, but you can't trigger it with a command. 

Whether this is good or bad is very subjective. I happen to love it (if the contextual triggers are well tuned – and they aren't always), and when it all clicks, it feels much more realistic and free-flowing. If you're unfamiliar, though, it can feel like input delay, which isn't the case. 

Speaking of delay: this year there was a horrendous player switching delay which took a while for them to sort out in a patch. 

Something that's generally regarded as great: the dribbling/player weight. 2018 got this spot on in a lot of people's eyes, though some feel the close control mechanic is still a bit clunky/weird looking.  

A last difference is that out of the box the AI is much better in PES. That's not the case if you tweak, however, since FIFA has a custom slider set which is pretty extensive, and allows you to customise lots of different AI elements – great for offline play. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the site bud 

Yeah i always felt pes was smoother and more slick in terms of passing and less arcady. 3 months in, i haven't mentioned scripting once which was so evident in fifa and enraged me quite often.

With all the new leagues, and ease of option file day one the licencing issue really is non existent these days. But you have a great community here, will enjoy building your team as well as community nights and plenty opportunities to enhance your budget as well as daily parties on psn to meet everyone on here, a good continental mix.

Most guys use the default PA1 settings for passing in the game and in time im sure you can fine tune that to your liking and ultimate preferences

Thanks guys that's amazing! I've already pre ordered PES 2019 so I'm going all in on It this year.

Biggest thing that's swayed me, besides fifa has been grim since 2016, is that I'm seeing loads of 'features' from EA but they don't show much gameplay changes (to me personally). PES However has had its gameplay promoted and that to me is definitely encouraging

Playing 2018 lately and it just feels like a proper football game

• Awesome! 1

Welcome, PES is definately a mile ahead gameplay wise, if you can live without the bells and whistles such as fancy menus etc. 

welcome mate you wont regret it :)

:welcome: 

:welcome1: bud! 

Welcome mate. It's amazing here. You'll love it.