Thundershotsam

Defending tips needed

Hi guys i have issues conceding to many goals. I know my problem is i am inpatient always containing and double teaming causing gaps to open up for easy goals. I suppose i should stop doing that firstly haha. On top of that any other defensive tips you have? thanks.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, Thundershotsam said:

Hi guys i have issues conceding to many goals. I know my problem is i am inpatient always containing and double teaming causing gaps to open up for easy goals. I suppose i should stop doing that firstly haha. On top of that any other defensive tips you have? thanks.

Honestly, what you wrote there was probably the biggest problem. 

It depends on formation somewhat. If you play 3 at back, rushing out with a wide one to help contain a winger can be wise. But in a 4 at back system, with just two CBs, you rarely if ever want to rush out with a CB. 

Practice getting at least one midfielder to sit deep, and switching to him with the right stick when the oppo ball carrier is running through the middle. Use the DMF/CMF to pressure, get in front, nick the ball. 

You'll want to learn how to use Super Cancel (R1+R2 on PS controls), which overrides many things. Principally, use it to override the momentum assistance – automatically the game will lock your run into the ball, forcing you to slow down as you approach it at an angle. Instead, you want to run into the space where the ball *will* be, rather than where it is. 

Or, if you're slowing down with a player, you can use Super Cancel to get one side of him, take off R1, and use R2 to jockey the side you don't want him facing. This forces him to either turn and likely lose the ball, or push/pass away from your danger zone. 

When you've got the hang of 1-on-1s, you want to learn how to anticipate passes. What you look to do is cut off all the dangerous passing lanes by flicking right stick to select players nearest to the most obvious lanes. You'll then position them with Super Cancel, coming off R1 before you arrive in the lane (or else your momentum will make your interception ineffective – especially this year). 

There are plenty of other things to think about, especially regarding the tactical setup and style of football you want to play. But these are some basics. 

Add me or some others for friendlies where we can chat about it if you like :up:

• Like 1

I'm conceding way too many in friendlies, my defending on this version has been shocking. I only conceded 27 in 32 games last season on 2018 so struggling to understand what's going wrong for me here.

Advanced tactics are key and game management. Still have some stupid games with high scoring but mess about with tactics to find a good match.

Use directional pad to move defensively if needed I use swarming box and deep line if needed 

10 hours ago, FiftyShadesMCFC said:

Advanced tactics are key and game management. Still have some stupid games with high scoring but mess about with tactics to find a good match.

Use directional pad to move defensively if needed I use swarming box and deep line if needed 

That's all well and good if you've already mastered the basics. But I personally recommend turning off all advanced instructions and using balanced tactical settings when learning how to defend. Seems this guy is still learning some fundamentals, and the advanced instructions really just get in the way at that point. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Janguv said:

Honestly, what you wrote there was probably the biggest problem. 

It depends on formation somewhat. If you play 3 at back, rushing out with a wide one to help contain a winger can be wise. But in a 4 at back system, with just two CBs, you rarely if ever want to rush out with a CB. 

Practice getting at least one midfielder to sit deep, and switching to him with the right stick when the oppo ball carrier is running through the middle. Use the DMF/CMF to pressure, get in front, nick the ball. 

You'll want to learn how to use Super Cancel (R1+R2 on PS controls), which overrides many things. Principally, use it to override the momentum assistance – automatically the game will lock your run into the ball, forcing you to slow down as you approach it at an angle. Instead, you want to run into the space where the ball *will* be, rather than where it is. 

Or, if you're slowing down with a player, you can use Super Cancel to get one side of him, take off R1, and use R2 to jockey the side you don't want him facing. This forces him to either turn and likely lose the ball, or push/pass away from your danger zone. 

When you've got the hang of 1-on-1s, you want to learn how to anticipate passes. What you look to do is cut off all the dangerous passing lanes by flicking right stick to select players nearest to the most obvious lanes. You'll then position them with Super Cancel, coming off R1 before you arrive in the lane (or else your momentum will make your interception ineffective – especially this year). 

There are plenty of other things to think about, especially regarding the tactical setup and style of football you want to play. But these are some basics. 

Add me or some others for friendlies where we can chat about it if you like :up:

Thanks for that I understand what you are saying. I tried last night to stop containing and double teaming and it was weird the game felt so less franticm usually im hounding opponent nonstop when he got ball and then its full attack when i get ball so its exahusting haha...Playing like this meant defense was a lot more chilled out, id just sit back and get men behind ball and evenutally hed misplace a pass when no options etc, its more boring to play as you are not so active in the game but on other hand makes defense more of a gameplay downtime which ill need to get used to but could be cool.

16 hours ago, JamboGee92 said:

I'm conceding way too many in friendlies, my defending on this version has been shocking. I only conceded 27 in 32 games last season on 2018 so struggling to understand what's going wrong for me here.

Lets play a friendly and you will find your rhythm, lol. I conceded at least 5 when i was messing around, when i concentrate and end my attacks properly i can have clean sheets. I suppose you used to dribble a lot, that might be the reason because no matter what tactics you’re playing, you get caught off guard if you lose the ball.

i really don’t understand the mechanics of this f**king game, defenders are op at tackling but they stay too far away from the attackers during counters and just watch the horizontal low balls like a movie. 

back to my ultra defensive 2017 Allegrl counter tactics until I figure this out  🤕

• Like 1

dont listen to these bums. im rated 850 on my club, im a veritable legend of the game. are you ps4? if so add me and ill show you how the prem players roll.

• Haha 3

This was one thing I was struggling with being a noob until I realised how important form was. Godin who at the time was on red form just kept going walk about. Changed him for a lesser rates player on top form and my problems disappeared.

May be worth checking the form of your plays before the games and have a viable backup on the bench to switch if needed!

• Like 1