Janguv

Beating the press, Sarri style. Does it work on PES?

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3724976/why-the-premier-league-should-be-afraid-of-sarri-ball-once-chelsea-master-it

This is a great article, from one of my favourite analysts. I like the concepts involved, especially since the pressing game has become so dominant at top level. And since pressing is so OP on PES this year, I'm wondering how well it'll transfer to the virtual game. 

Breakdown of tactical style:

• Facing a compact block, up to the circle area, instead of passing through congested zones, cycle the ball along the defensive line
  • Keep doing this until the opponent begins to press your ball carriers
  • Ideally (I think), keep this up until they begin to press as a unit, opening up midfield space
  • Pass into space on the wing (fullback) or midfield
  • Launch a diagonal switch to advanced wingers/side mids, and create incisive attacks from there

The idea is that it works like a counter attack, without the risk of having conceded possession first. 

Would love it if this was effective in PES. Problems I see in bringing it over though:

• A lot of teams aren't using a compact block to begin with; they don't need to be teased into pressing because they're already in a wide advanced 4-3-3 and spamming the fook out of FLP/AGG and gegenpress
  • Ball control is so tricky this year (first touch mechanics), that the likelihood of interception/tackling your defensive line is absurdly high. Would need defenders with high ball control and passing, at least. 
  • A lot of spammy players use deep defensive line and 3 or 4 CBs in a 4-man back line. So that even if you break the midfield block, you still have to beat the Spartan wall. 

That said, I'd be intrigued if anyone could make it work. 

What do you think?

• Like 3

you mean pressing is more effetive? I thought best idea was to back off and cut passing lanes wait for opponent to make mistake?

I know on one hand if you press fast and hard often it can make it annoying for opponent as they dont get time to react and lose ball on other hand all it takes is one quick well timed through ball and they in on goal when yuor players out of position from constant pressing which is why i stopped pressing and play conservative

Just now, Thundershotsam said:

you mean pressing is more effetive? I thought best idea was to back off and cut passing lanes wait for opponent to make mistake?

Specifically, ball winning is more effective, because of the OPness of the ball winning stat, combined with hard first touch mechanics and a lack of proper physical detection (can clatter through the back of a player and it's still a legal challenge). 

What you're describing here is a counter attacking style of defending. What I'm interested in here is the Sarri style, where you have possession to begin with and draw out the press. 

3 minutes ago, Thundershotsam said:

I know on one hand if you press fast and hard often it can make it annoying for opponent as they dont get time to react and lose ball on other hand all it takes is one quick well timed through ball and they in on goal when yuor players out of position from constant pressing which is why i stopped pressing and play conservative

Really, that's mainly a problem if you're also pressing with the back line. Experienced sweaty players will use the forwards and AMFs to do this job, so they don't open up to a simple through ball on goal. 

• Like 1

Just press square and fk off back with the guy you are controlling , makes a really good game too.

8 minutes ago, Thundershotsam said:

so you think a combination of pressing from top half of team and backing of with defenders is best tactics?

Lol no, look. Read the original post. I'm not asking: how do I beat the press? And I'm not saying: this is the best way to beat the press. 

I'm just saying: this particular way of beating the press in real life, do you think it carries over to PES? 

9 minutes ago, Thundershotsam said:

so you think a combination of pressing from top half of team and backing of with defenders is best tactics?

And, incidentally, I'm not talking about a style of defending at all. 

Just now, Thundershotsam said:

I know sorry i kinda bombed your thread, I know my discussion not answering your OP just related to it. Sorry about that.

Okay haha. 

Feel free to start a thread about overcoming the press in general, if it's something that interests/bothers you. 

I imagine the main responses will involve: switch the ball a lot to open up space; use tiki-taka ping pong to disorient the pressing players; don't try to be silky on the ball in midfield and defence. 

But I personally think that all the standard wisdom hardly helps this year, because if a player really wants to press, has fast players, and is disciplined with the back line, there's relatively little risk involved for them to do it. 

• Thanks 1