Sign in to follow this  
donkeyhugger

Ball winning areas

Anyone ever check these? If so what does it tell you? 

I find the vast amount of 'dots' for me are in & around my own box.. while oppo usually clustered around midfield or higher

Am i defending too deep? tried setting higher lines etc but always seems to be the same (but with added bonus of conceding more as i get caught out way more lol)

In terms of the ball winning areas being the same with either instruction, might be because you keep the defend-deep mentality while telling AI to keep a high line, I know from myself that if you are not on the same page with your AI players things get way worse :D By that I mean if your AI players keep a high line but you pull the midfielder you control back instinctively (that's where your mentality is), it will create an imbalance in the team shape. This is all a guess, of course, there might be other reasons 

About where you should set up your defense, it depends a lot on your opponents and the players you have

It sounds obvious but I learned that the hard way by conceding 9 on my last 2 league games after having a series of clean sheets. I was setting up a high line with FLP + CON and it worked back to back against possession players, so I got too confident in it, when I faced Matty for example who is more direct, I got in trouble early but refused to change to AOD or move the defense deeper because what I got already worked many times, why change, right? Was wrong and got demolished :D Similarly against Ben, I was defending the middle and was very compact so my wings were open traffic, I once again didn't want to change anything and didn't try to defend wide and got demolished by crosses.

So, in my opinion, on the attack, it's better to have your own identity/style but on the defense, it makes more sense to adapt to the opponent, this dynamic also makes the game more interesting I think

• Like 2
  • Awesome! 1