Goat261

PES 2020 First impressions

Whats your first impressions of pes 2020?

Only had a handful of games so far (every game with my PEN team) but everything feels more responsive, yet the game speed is slower, which is the perfect balance (hope they dont ruin this with the upcoming patch). At no point did i feel like i wasnt in control of my players.
The collision system is implemented very well and compliments other aspects of the gameplay, unlike the shielding mechanic in 2019, you dont lose control of your player while shrugging off defenders
Player switching has been fixed and so far i havent seen any examples of defenders just standing there like gormless idiots.

The first touch is much more responsive than pes 2019 + first time passes, headers, little flicks etc are not always lazer guided directly to the intended targets feet, which finally adds some risk to first time passes and the more difficult passes. Could reduce the amount of first time passes you usually see in matches of PES. Its not like all first time passes are miss placed, but its enough to make you think twice, especially when you have time and space to take a touch. I like that the flicks are not as accurate too, weve all seen when a midfielder passes it to a CF, he lays it off first time for a quick 1-2 to get in behind the defence, now when the CF attempts the first time flick there is a good chance it will be a poor pass. At least it has been in my games, but Caputo does have something like 65 for short passing. But the point is he did on 2019 too and those first time flicks were always incredibly accurate.
Theres variety of misplaced passes, you dont always lose possession either, since players are much more responsive to a slightly miss placed pass, rather than just standing there like statues. Some passes are under hit, some are over hit, some are slightly off target, others are way off target, but so far each miss placed pass has made sense and thats the big difference to pes 2019 where it just seemed completely random and had no variety, they were all either over hit or the intended target didnt react to the ball.

Some of the tricks that werent responsive like runaround/nutmeg and bergkamp flick are now much smoother. My only complaint is when i do the Bergkamp flick near one of my players, it always switches to that player during the trick (like hes receiving a pass even though the balls no where near him) rather than letting me run onto the ball with the player performing the trick.

Overall the responsiveness of everything just makes the game much better. The only negatives ive seen so far is the bergkamp flick 'bug' i mentioned above, and that free kicks are still way too easy.

Also when playing as my pen team (man city) the kits actually resembled the City home kit for a change. If the majority of unlicensed teams have realistic looking kits, that will be a huge positive for the Xbox pes community.

• Like 1

Hold any thoughts till online works 

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of that @Goat261

I'm playing ML on Superstar with the defaults - it's been rough - meaning to say my thoughts could be influenced by s**t players/struggling on Superstar.

PA1 feels less assisted or at least like there's more margin for error and inaccuracy (so less assisted?) - this could be "s**t players" also.

I think dribbling (for me) will take a bit of time to get used to. Beating a man with normal LS dribbling seems quite difficult. At the moment, I can't beat the man and if I do, I can't reliably burst free on to the next man or to break free to shoot/pass as it feels like I'm always being held back/pressured - hopefully that's down to me still learning.

The shooting feels satisfying when Ive gotten through.

I felt like I was using long-balls more in spaces that I historically would use Low Passes as I couldnt trust the accuracy/strength/reliability of a Low Pass in that instance (Like facing backwards around the centre-circle but no space or option to go short). If this is an inplementation and not down to me being s**t at dribbling or passing being s**t with bums then this is welcome as long passing is something that is a big part of football but is rare in games save for the odd switch, pumping it forward or crossing.

I like the Master League interface - looks quite polished. Does seem like ML from last year and the year before - nothing wrong with that in essence - provided that the bugs are fixed and Sam Clucas hasnt been signed for Madrid while Benzema goes to Nottingham Forest etc. Proper transfers are important - I haven't made any; I'll have to look at the ones made by the CPU to see that there aren't any howlers.

I dont like how the audio drops out for goals. Not the grestest commentary but the crowd levels sometimes drop out too when a goal is scored.

Referee is quite lenient shich ties well into the new physicality/shielding.

5 hours ago, Goat261 said:

the kits actually resembled the City home kit for a change. If the majority of unlicensed teams have realistic looking kits, that will be a huge positive for the Xbox pes community.

Anyone got any pics of these teams? I wouldn't playing with/against unlicensed teams on Xbox if the kits were remotely similar to their real life versions.

Also the gradual acceleration and the potential to lose control while blindly sprinting is good.

I see that pace is effective, which it should be - Ollie Burke was absolutely shredding me down the right - but it feels like your rewarded for being quick if you create the space for pacey players to run in to. Its quite difficult to get up to full pace through the middle of the pitch as you risk knocking it beyond your control bt the 3rd of 4th touch; hopefully this will cause players online to take stock of their use of R1 and risk penalty for being too liberal with it in areas you really shouldnt be able to.

@Sunzibad yup, I noticed the same with passing. PA1 does feel less assisted. The players passing stats really make a difference. In 2019 you had extremely accurate passing 80% of the time on PA1 with someone that had passing stats in the 60s. That's no longer the case it seems. You really feel it with strikers that have low passing stats, it's not easy finding teammates feet when trying to play a pass under pressure. 

2 hours ago, Sunzibad said:

I agree with a lot of that @Goat261

I'm playing ML on Superstar with the defaults - it's been rough - meaning to say my thoughts could be influenced by s**t players/struggling on Superstar.

PA1 feels less assisted or at least like there's more margin for error and inaccuracy (so less assisted?) - this could be "s**t players" also.

I think dribbling (for me) will take a bit of time to get used to. Beating a man with normal LS dribbling seems quite difficult. At the moment, I can't beat the man and if I do, I can't reliably burst free on to the next man or to break free to shoot/pass as it feels like I'm always being held back/pressured - hopefully that's down to me still learning.

The shooting feels satisfying when Ive gotten through.

I felt like I was using long-balls more in spaces that I historically would use Low Passes as I couldnt trust the accuracy/strength/reliability of a Low Pass in that instance (Like facing backwards around the centre-circle but no space or option to go short). If this is an inplementation and not down to me being s**t at dribbling or passing being s**t with bums then this is welcome as long passing is something that is a big part of football but is rare in games save for the odd switch, pumping it forward or crossing.

I like the Master League interface - looks quite polished. Does seem like ML from last year and the year before - nothing wrong with that in essence - provided that the bugs are fixed and Sam Clucas hasnt been signed for Madrid while Benzema goes to Nottingham Forest etc. Proper transfers are important - I haven't made any; I'll have to look at the ones made by the CPU to see that there aren't any howlers.

I dont like how the audio drops out for goals. Not the grestest commentary but the crowd levels sometimes drop out too when a goal is scored.

Referee is quite lenient shich ties well into the new physicality/shielding.

Maybe the dribbling is because of offline play. It's always harder to dribble against AI I've found as pbsiouly there programmed and not easy to fool like humans. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattyPThaG said:

Maybe the dribbling is because of offline play. It's always harder to dribble against AI I've found as pbsiouly there programmed and not easy to fool like humans. 

Could just be me too mate.

Ive stopped Master League for now. There's Team Spirit involved and training and stuff. I wanna play with my PEN team too (helps that they're better too).

So I made custom league that I can use my PEN Team in without having to worry about Team Spirit, Training, Fatigue etc.

IMG_20190908_082924_zpsognva4g7.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone else have it where there is a delay in  commentary when you score? I played 2 friendlies with Cardiff and after every goal (won 4-2 and 2-0) the commentator would still be saying “and here’s a chance” or whatever when my players are celebrating with the fans behind the goal :lol: 

And they didn’t even react when my player got sent off :shootme: 

I don't like the default camera (stadium)...changed it to the more familiar "dynamic wide"

• Like 3

I’m fully into a Master League with s**t players so that I can start to get a real feel of the game. You have to really watch your positioning when passing, if you idly ping it out from defence you risk leaving yourself exposed. Sometimes you have to shift it back to try another angle or try a longer ball. There’s a big difference with players that can actually pass, they seem to be able to deliver some killer balls, where low-rated passers can often over hit it or struggle to cross properly. 

3 minutes ago, BenStatman said:

I’m fully into a Master League with s**t players so that I can start to get a real feel of the game. You have to really watch your positioning when passing, if you idly ping it out from defence you risk leaving yourself exposed. Sometimes you have to shift it back to try another angle or try a longer ball. There’s a big difference with players that can actually pass, they seem to be able to deliver some killer balls, where low-rated passers can often over hit it or struggle to cross properly. 

Won’t make a difference when everyone is using pa3 on myclub and divisions! 

Just now, Bluebird said:

Won’t make a difference when everyone is using pa3 on myclub and divisions! 

Enjoying offline at the moment :ohyeah:

Has the makings for some great 15 minute friendlies on here though. 

• Like 2

I really did not like the demo. It felt too slow and sluggish. Especially when a player was receiving the pass and then turning with the ball straight after. It felt like all players needed at least 2 touches first to bring the ball under control before you could execute the next action. 

Got really frustrated with what felt like passing, collision, dribbling/skill animations waiting to finish which also made the weight and speed of the passing feel completely random. 

In short I felt as out of control in a PES game since probably PES 2008.

It was not fun!!

However I’ve played a few games in Serie A as my PEN team and there is a completely different feel to the game. It feels much smoother and loads more responsive. The shooting feels sharper. First touches are not Emile Heskey like and there seems less AI interference through animations. 

The passing weight and speed I think is still a bit wonky but I also think this could be down to minute differences in a players balance, body position and maybe also form/fatigue when they repeat the execution of the same pass or shot in similar situations. If this is the case then great I need to be better and by george I think Konami might have got it!

I hope that the online does not ruin the potential of this game as it stands. It feels quicker ever so slightly to me but not as fast as 19. 

I’m still on the fence due to a couple of issues that I feel will ruin the game for me unless they are just something that I can improve skill wise. 

Roll on Tuesday. 

I'm playing on World Class and have found the AI to be really balanced. Obviously everyone will be playing online but I there is fun to be had offline, especially if you get into a Master League. Personally I feel like the formation sliders do more of what I intended as I found that last year my defence / midfield would act strangely despite different settings being applied. 

@Sunzibad what is SuperStar like? On World Class the AI doesn't feel cheaty and the COM teams have a different approach each time. 

5 minutes ago, BenStatman said:

I'm playing on World Class and have found the AI to be really balanced. Obviously everyone will be playing online but I there is fun to be had offline, especially if you get into a Master League. Personally I feel like the formation sliders do more of what I intended as I found that last year my defence / midfield would act strangely despite different settings being applied. 

@Sunzibad what is SuperStar like? On World Class the AI doesn't feel cheaty and the COM teams have a different approach each time. 

I dunno what World Class is? I thought that was above Superstar? I just unlocked Legend.

Superstar is hard for me ATM.

Not so much playing to win (obviously want to win), just practicing; dribbling under pressure/defending quick ping-pong, over the top balls, switching, passing out from the back following attack after attack etc.

It's hard.

1 minute ago, Sunzibad said:

I dunno what World Class is? I thought that was above Superstar? I just unlocked Legend.

Superstar is hard for me ATM.

Not so much playing to win (obviously want to win), just practicing; dribbling under pressure/defending quick ping-pong, over the top balls, switching, passing out from the back following attack after attack etc.

It's hard.

Its easier with my PEN Team - Ive won 2 out of 6 in that League I posted above.

With the default ML players it's very frustrating. Lots of last minute goals. And you come under lots of pressure/momentum if you happen to take the lead.

I won 3 in 21 in my ML. 60TS. No transfers.

Been playing Master League with default players on whatever difficulty is above professional. It takes patience to build attacks and you can really get punished for mistakes. Finding dribbling a real struggle but none of the defaults can dribble so I'm hoping once I start using my PEN team it feels much easier.

I like the pace and how the first time pass is not always the best option, it feels like it will be really hard to ping pong - but this could just be with low rated players and PA1, the proof will be in online play.

Low rated keepers (sub 70) do make some absolute howlers. I'm hoping this isn't the case with 74-77 rated.

2 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

Its easier with my PEN Team - Ive won 2 out of 6 in that League I posted above.

With the default ML players it's very frustrating. Lots of last minute goals. And you come under lots of pressure/momentum if you happen to take the lead.

I won 3 in 21 in my ML. 60TS. No transfers.

Arcas Sanhoune and Hervey are Pansexuals.

Bad Boy Rice is a Frillypink little water-carrier too. Lol.

8 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

Arcas Sanhoune and Hervey are Pansexuals.

Bad Boy Rice is a Frillypink little water-carrier too. Lol.

I chose to start in Brazil Serie B so didn't have any of those 

Just now, ClaretMatt said:

Didnt realise they changed from region to region, Frillypink!

2 hours ago, dortaboy said:

I don't like the default camera (stadium)...changed it to the more familiar "dynamic wide"

Looks great when you see it on highlight vids on YouTube but the reality is it's just little bit off at crucial times imo.I changed to dynamic wide and zoomed it right out and it's much better.Still not perfect though.

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Anyone else have it where there is a delay in  commentary when you score? I played 2 friendlies with Cardiff and after every goal (won 4-2 and 2-0) the commentator would still be saying “and here’s a chance” or whatever when my players are celebrating with the fans behind the goal :lol: 

And they didn’t even react when my player got sent off :shootme: 

i think the commentators are in shock that cardiff actually scored a goal 😂

I got mines from Shopto yesterday but worked all day. Hopefully get a few games tonight. Had a wee kick about in training. Seems good. Excited to get right into.

57 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

That’s strange @ClaretMatt so did I :lol: 

I’m Parana, so real players but generally under 70.