Sunzibad

LiverpooI: The pool of youth (via Barnsley) - A ML story.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:17 PM, Tottiwhat! said:

It‚Äôs grim up north ūüėā

Not too bad now...

Up to 73 Team Spirit - from having won 1 in 8, I'm unbeaten in 6 including wins over West Brom, Cardiff and QPR.

My Key Players:

C. WOODROW - Top scorer in the Champ with 10 so far.

B. DIABY - Stats say it all. Bit more DP and BW will make him even better. Got him on Defensive training for that purpose

A. MOWATT - Captain and midfield engine. Got the low socks as well ha ha.

Edited by Sunzibad

34 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

Not too bad now...

Up to 73 Team Spirit - from having won 1 in 8, I'm unbeaten in 6 including wins over West Brom, Cardiff and QPR.

My Key Players:

C. WOODROW - Top scorer in the Champ with 10 so far.

B. DIABY - Stats say it all. Bit more DP and BW will make him even better. Got him on Defensive training for that purpose

A. MOWATT - Captain and midfield engine. Got the low socks as well ha ha.

Always become attached to a handful of players whenever I do a master league. Even further down the line when you can afford to bring in better talent, always stick with a few of the old guard.....

any targets for the January window? Do tell

1 hour ago, Tottiwhat! said:

Always become attached to a handful of players whenever I do a master league. Even further down the line when you can afford to bring in better talent, always stick with a few of the old guard.....

any targets for the January window? Do tell

Want to try and keep it realistic (so no raiding bum leagues for players that wouldnt get permits IRL) and I always try to buy players that aren't obvious/known/usual suspects or valuable PEN gems.

Thinking loans/players from the Championship 1 or 2 older players because for some reason Barnsley 30 players seem to be kids.

No targets identified. I have budget set to small too.

Just now, Sunzibad said:

Want to try and keep it realistic (so no raiding bum leagues for players that wouldnt get permits IRL) and I always try to buy players that aren't obvious/known/usual suspects or valuable PEN gems.

Thinking loans/players from the Championship 1 or 2 older players because for some reason Barnsley 30 players seem to be kids.

Barnsley's full squad of 30 players seem to be kids* I meant.

28 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

Gotta speculate to accumulate, sell ten kids ūüėā build up a war chest of ¬£1M haha.

That’s the fun of master league though, at least to my mind it is. Finding players that fit your circumstance and just click with you. I’m trying to keep an Italian core with Frosinone for realism, or at the very least am trying to keep my fancy dan targets to something plausible.  I’ve got my eye on a couple of older Italian forwards for when the summer window hits. I rely on Trotta too heavily and need another option up top.

My first season also concluded. :D

Tough. But didnt come into this ML with any preconceptions about getting to the Prem first season, signing x, y and z etc - want to make a career of it hence picking Barnsley (1.5*) and playing on Legendary.

Anyway...

We managed to hit 10th in the League and I did start to wonder but it was short-lived with 6 straight defeats resulting in us yo-yoing between 14th and 19th from week to week.

IMG_20191229_081431.jpg

A couple of my players made the TOTS - Cauley 'Woody' Woodrow and the guy that I've been working on, believing he has a bit of talent, Mallik Wilks

IMG_20191229_081439.jpg

Here's my team:

IMG_20191229_081418.jpg

Didnt sign anyone from the youth team because the better players are better than my first-teamers.

My only signing was W. ENDO on a Free Transfer. Ive sold all players for offers that came in from realistic approaches like Scotland/bigger Championship sides. Not sold anyone that didn't seem realistic.

Here's my player stats for the season:

IMG_20191229_081435.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 8:32 AM, Sunzibad said:

My first season also concluded. :D

Tough. But didnt come into this ML with any preconceptions about getting to the Prem first season, signing x, y and z etc - want to make a career of it hence picking Barnsley (1.5*) and playing on Legendary.

Anyway...

We managed to hit 10th in the League and I did start to wonder but it was short-lived with 6 straight defeats resulting in us yo-yoing between 14th and 19th from week to week.

IMG_20191229_081431.jpg

A couple of my players made the TOTS - Cauley 'Woody' Woodrow and the guy that I've been working on, believing he has a bit of talent, Mallik Wilks

IMG_20191229_081439.jpg

Here's my team:

IMG_20191229_081418.jpg

Didnt sign anyone from the youth team because the better players are better than my first-teamers.

My only signing was W. ENDO on a Free Transfer. Ive sold all players for offers that came in from realistic approaches like Scotland/bigger Championship sides. Not sold anyone that didn't seem realistic.

Here's my player stats for the season:

IMG_20191229_081435.jpg

65 conceded, seems like legendary mode was a baptism of fire! ūüĒ• think you done really well to finish mid table looking at some of your players on pesdb

What’s Chaplin like? Seems to be doing in real life.

27 minutes ago, Tottiwhat! said:

65 conceded, seems like legendary mode was a baptism of fire! ūüĒ• think you done really well to finish mid table looking at some of your players on pesdb

What’s Chaplin like? Seems to be doing in real life.

It's hard mate. I dont think I'll ever get promoted (let's hope I can do enough to avoid the sack).

I started the second season well. I had lost 2 drawn 2 and won 6 and found myself 4th - but it's fallen apart since then and im back around 13th.

I sold Woodrow because I got an offer from Derby (he would go on to score against me in the league game :()

Only managed one signing - no one will sign for me:

R. MESHINO - needed someone who could dribble just a little bit, he started the season on fire but trailed off now.

Just reached mid-season and my 28 year old LB decides to retire (WTF?!?!). As above been struggling to but anyone but managed to pick up a replacement:

J. LAURSEN (now 27 and not changed much staristically)

Also got this guy after randomly finding him when using the filters. Failed with numerous bids - finally managed to get him!

E. SABBI - he has 80 Finishing now. Cant wait to use him next time I play.

f**k me its hard though.

As for Chaplin, I used him first half of the second season after selling 'Woody' and he's been awful. 3 goals in 22 I think. Disappointing.

• Like 1

Tough decision letting your main man leave the building. Laursen looks like a good fit and that pinpoint crossing can be invaluable (depending on how you play). At first glance couldn‚Äôt quite believe¬†Sabbi was 67 rated but then he does have some really poor stats like physical contact and aggression and perhaps most of all offensive awareness. Hope he works out for you dude ūüĎć as it‚Äôs a shame Chaplin was so poor.

11 hours ago, Tottiwhat! said:

Tough decision letting your main man leave the building. Laursen looks like a good fit and that pinpoint crossing can be invaluable (depending on how you play). At first glance couldn‚Äôt quite believe¬†Sabbi was 67 rated but then he does have some really poor stats like physical contact and aggression and perhaps most of all offensive awareness. Hope he works out for you dude ūüĎć as it‚Äôs a shame Chaplin was so poor.

How about these two that I snared before the January window closed:

R. NTEKA

J. BATAILLE

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

R. NTEKA

J. BATAILLE

Nteka in my whiteball myclub team. Absolute Pansexual.

58 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

R. NTEKA

J. BATAILLE

Frillypink dude ūüĎć both young as well, so room to improve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

Nteka in my whiteball myclub team. Absolute Pansexual.

Yeah hea wicked. Just what I needed. Real improvement in quality and he's only 71!

4 hours ago, Tottiwhat! said:

Frillypink dude ūüĎć both young as well, so room to improve

Yeah Nketas been noticeably good. Bataille is OK.

That Sabbi is ridiculous though - scores 17 goals in 10 games - we are in the play-off spots with 9 games to go.

Hes 2nd top-scorer in the League despite only joining in January. Soooo good.

• Awesome! 1

Didn't think it could be possible but I'm hooked on this Master League save! Must have played like 100 games pver the last 8-10 days.

Anyhow... after reinforcements arrivedin January (E. SABBI, R. NTEKA, J. LAURSEN) we went from 13th to 5th!

IMG_20191231_221951.jpg

Mainly thanks to Sabbi TBH... who finished 2nd in the Golden Boot (despite joining in Jan!)

IMG_20191231_221940.jpg

Rest of my team's stats for the Season:

IMG_20191231_221944.jpg

I got smashed 4-0 by Nottingham Forest 3 games ago and now have them in the Play-Offs - not optimistic TBH. For large parts of the save I was content to build and spend 3 or 4 seasons in the Champ but now that we find ourselves with a chance at promotion, Id be gutted to lose out... especially via the play-offs. :(

This is how my First Team is looking with 2 Seasons complete, barring play-offs:

IMG_20191231_221948.jpg

Sabbi is overpowered againsta60-70s GKs but Nteka is definitely the best player. His returns represent his quality and he's not even up to full Team Spirit.

• Like 1
  • Awesome! 2

Loving it Sunzi, hope you can grab revenge over Forest ūüĎć

• Like 1

Would love to tell you that we fought the good fight and we really did... but after a 2-1 loss in the first-leg of the Play-Off Semis, we could only muster a fighting 4-4, losing 6-5 on aggregate.

We shot in to a 2-0 lead in the second-leg aswell putting us up 3-2 on aggregate but trying to manage the game proved costly :(

I felt sick.

IMG_20200102_091057.jpg

So it's a third season in the Championship!

Planning for the new campaign has begun with a GK high on the agenda - I really wanted A. PLIZZARI who has gone from strength to strength, leaving Livorno for Atalanta and consequently Atalanta for Benfica - so perhaps a measure of why we couldnt compete.

I had already arranged for a replacement for S. SAHIN-RADLINGER in the 1.1M signing of D. BERTAUD before the window even opened.

A comparison of the two, 3 Seasons in:

IMG_20200102_091307.jpg

Next up, was L. MAI on a Free Transfer to offer competition for Aapo Halme and Bambo Diaby who have come on really well as Barnsley originals.

With Dani Pinillos retiring (at 28 FFS!) I wanted back up for 27 (soon to be 28 :shifty:) Jacob Laursen - so I picked up¬†MANU S√ĀNCHEZ for 600K from Eibar - he has fone from 61 to 66-OVR.

My first ever signing Wataru Endo is starting to decline and, although still a Key figure at Barnsley, V. SCRECIU was signed from Genk for 850K with one eye on the future.

Felt like that was good progressive business.

I did have the chance to sign T. CHONG but passed thinking it would hinder the development of Jelle Bataille and Mallik Wilks, two players that embody the spirit of this Master League save and why it's been so addictive.

Mind you, Chong hasn't progressed much; now 22 with little to no development at United, he's been released and is just ex-hype now... still his name value and demands were too much for what we're doing here at Barnsley (as much as I wanted that cum face - hair mainly :D) so we passed and concluded business for the Summer.

Here's Chong all the same:

IMG_20200102_091101.jpg

IMG_20200102_091104.jpg

So a third season in the Champ :(

Love this save :drool:

• Like 1
  • Awesome! 1

8 hours ago, Sunzibad said:

Would love to tell you that we fought the good fight and we really did... but after a 2-1 loss in the first-leg of the Play-Off Semis, we could only muster a fighting 4-4, losing 6-5 on aggregate.

We shot in to a 2-0 lead in the second-leg aswell putting us up 3-2 on aggregate but trying to manage the game proved costly :(

I felt sick.

IMG_20200102_091057.jpg

So it's a third season in the Championship!

Planning for the new campaign has begun with a GK high on the agenda - I really wanted A. PLIZZARI who has gone from strength to strength, leaving Livorno for Atalanta and consequently Atalanta for Benfica - so perhaps a measure of why we couldnt compete.

I had already arranged for a replacement for S. SAHIN-RADLINGER in the 1.1M signing of D. BERTAUD before the window even opened.

A comparison of the two, 3 Seasons in:

IMG_20200102_091307.jpg

Next up, was L. MAI on a Free Transfer to offer competition for Aapo Halme and Bambo Diaby who have come on really well as Barnsley originals.

With Dani Pinillos retiring (at 28 FFS!) I wanted back up for 27 (soon to be 28 :shifty:) Jacob Laursen - so I picked up¬†MANU S√ĀNCHEZ for 600K from Eibar - he has fone from 61 to 66-OVR.

My first ever signing Wataru Endo is starting to decline and, although still a Key figure at Barnsley, V. SCRECIU was signed from Genk for 850K with one eye on the future.

Felt like that was good progressive business.

I did have the chance to sign T. CHONG but passed thinking it would hinder the development of Jelle Bataille and Mallik Wilks, two players that embody the spirit of this Master League save and why it's been so addictive.

Mind you, Chong hasn't progressed much; now 22 with little to no development at United, he's been released and is just ex-hype now... still his name value and demands were too much for what we're doing here at Barnsley (as much as I wanted that cum face - hair mainly :D) so we passed and concluded business for the Summer.

Here's Chong all the same:

IMG_20200102_091101.jpg

IMG_20200102_091104.jpg

So a third season in the Champ :(

Love this save :drool:

3rd time lucky dude, I can feel it in my Pes¬†bones ūü§ěūüĎćūüėā

seriously though I reckon with your most capable squad to date and higher team spirit (I’m assuming) that you will get promoted this year.

Posted (edited)

Season 3: January Transfer Window

So after last season's Play-Off disappointment, another (the third) season in the Championship commenced.

A strong start in the League has us on course for automatic qualification - the only blemish courtesy of those f**kers from Nottingham. I just cannot beat them, is it mental? Is it tactical? They're 16th, yet they hit us on the counter thrice in a 3-1 win at The City Ground - can't seem to beat them. :(

Bambo Diaby aka the Championships Kalidou Koulibaly was on a flashing blue development arrow for about 10 games and was immense, literally single-handedly responsible for clean sheet upon clean sheet, particularly during a string of narrow 1-0 victories... and when he failed new keeper Dmitry Bertaud has justified the 1.1M layout - his Low-Punt has been handy too.

IMG_20200103_163536.jpg

The strong start to the campaign has carried across to the FA Cup where victory over Huddersfield set up a tasty second round tie against Bournemouth which Emmanuel Sabbi settled. Sabbi collected the scraps to poke home from about 5 yards after pandemonium in the box from an early corner - from then on we were under the pump as Bournemouth alternated between the attacking and full-retard sliders searching an equaliser. What a win, rewarded with a trip to Everton next!

IMG_20200103_163543.jpg

Sabbi's form has cooled - I mean he's still excellent but he's not tearing up the division (given our form) like he had done back-end of last season when he netted 23 in 17, finishing 2nd in the Golden Boot despite only joining in January. Contributions are more spread as quality throughout the team has improved.

Here's the numbers up to January:

IMG_20200103_163540.jpg

You may have noticed a certain A. FRANCIS from the stats above with no stats against his name? That's because we signed him in the lead up to the January transfer window (around November) and he's just joined from QPR now that the window has opened; the story unfolded as such:

Apparently Alex Mowatt, an important original player up till now TBF, believed that a move to a bigger club was on the horizon (he's 27 and still about 68-OVR) therefore he rejected a contract extension with us. I mean, I wasn't too disappointed but it was the catalyst for Francis' arrival. With Francis I was after a Naby Keita type player, good technically but energetic between both boxes - QPR's demise saw him arrive for 900K.

Not mass recruiting now, just honing - I'll have a proper review should we reach the Prem (which we really should barring a catastrophic capitulation).

Here's how Francis is looking now at 20 - looks ideal:

IMG_20200103_163653.jpg

This is how my team is looking following Francis' arrival - without doubt the key men are Diaby and Nteka IMO:

IMG_20200103_163657.jpg

Edited by Sunzibad
  • Like 1
  • Awesome! 1

So at my last update we had reached the January Transfer window in Season 3 atop the Championship and facing a 3rd round tie vs Everton at Goodison.

First the FA Cup; after giving as good as we got, an extraordinary own goal by the heroic Bambo Diaby sent us crashing out.

IMG_20200104_194343.jpg

Disappointing but that did not deter us from rather boringly steamrolling all ahead of us en route to the Championship title and Promotion to the Premier League...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... yeah, yeah, yeah...

IMG_20200104_194347.jpg

Sabbi hit form again when I remembered I had been using him as a Counter-Target. Contributions from all saw the TOTS dominated by my boys - disappointed not to see Diaby make the squad given how instrumental he was throughout, particularly first half of the season when we had only lost 1 game in 24.

Stats:

IMG_20200104_194355.jpg

TOTS:

IMG_20200104_194351.jpg

So we make it to the Prem at the 3rd time of asking.

Next up, I'll post up some development screens for my most impressive bloomers.

Development Screens:

Whilst they might not seem impressive, these stats have taken a lot of time and effort to reach:

R. MESHINO

Initially bought as he was one of very few that would sign for me and I was desperate for some who could dribble; my best dribbler at the time was in the 60s - here's how he's developed since (that 85 has been a grind). I've also managed to add Flip-Flap to his repertoire.

IMG_20200104_194434.jpg

B. DIABY

A Barnsley original, I haven't been able to maintain his peak for long; if I preserve his speed he starts to lose his defence and vice versa so Im concentrating on his defensive numbers which also took an age to get into the 70s.

The Championship's Koulibaly - check the physicals! He's also been capped for Senegal playing under me.

IMG_20200103_163806.jpgIMG_20200104_194430.jpg

A. HALME

Another Barnsley original. I have worked hard on him for 3 Seasons though he has been rotated much of this last season with L. MAI showing more longer term potential; nevertheless he and Diaby have been solid and ensured that Centre-Back was one less problem for me to worry about

IMG_20200104_194441.jpgIMG_20200104_194437.jpg

J. BATAILLE

When I saw the distribution I just had to pick him up. He has come on leaps and bounds this last season making the TOTS, contributing a number of assists.

Quite lively to use with his Acceleration up at 88, Balance at 85 and his dribbling bordering 80.

IMG_20200104_194512.jpg

I have others but I'll post them down the line.

• Awesome! 2

Season 4: Preseason prep

Following promotion, it was time to bolster the squad ahead of the Premier League season.

I found a new, easier way to post player stats without needing to take two screenshots!

The club bid farewell to S. SAHIN-RADLINGER who returns to the Championship with Millwall. At 29 and 66 rated, with stats barely over 70 where it mattered, the club had outgrown Radlingers level and so competition for the rather short D. BERTAUD was a priority

Enter the first bit of business from Groningen for 500K:

C. FR√úCHTL

Taller, younger and capable of staking a claim for the number 1 jersey - the German's arrival is an indication of Barnsley's ambition. 

IMG_20200105_065634.jpg

Next up, is the replacement of one of my earliest signings;¬†signed in an emergency,¬†J. LAURSEN¬†(signed to replace a retiring 28 year old Dani Pinillos)¬†is highly regarded at the club but has also shown signs of decline (dropping from 74 to 72) and, with¬†MANU S√ĀNCHEZ (66) still wet behind the ears a long-term replacement was vital.

Enter one of my most exciting signings:

Ç. KURUKALIP

Still only 20 and at 69 rated I'm hoping he can go on to serve the club for years at a much higher level. Looks insane - complete with Dipping Shot and Fighting Spirit cards.

IMG_20200105_065647.jpg

Fully expecting legendary captain D. CAVAR√Č to start declining, if he isn't already,¬†but his Team Role (Workhorse Level 3), the only 3* Team Role at the club, makes him fundamental to the side. I'm priming¬†RANDY to take over from him when his role/influence increases at which point I expect I will need a younger right-back.

So VITINHO was signed from Cercle Brugge for 850K.

Looks ideal in that he can dribble and has a few low 70's stats still to tap into - of course, I'm expecting Explosive Power to increase to 85 - Scissors and RMF A-Position. Handy.

IMG_20200105_065651.jpg

Lastly (well kind of...) A. MOWATT had shot himself in the foot, rejecting a contract renewal, citing ambitions to join a bigger club, only to end up back in the Championship with Bristol City so a replacement was required: 

Welcome to Barnsley N. JABY

Like Vitinho but younger still, he has those untapped 70s with some good cards coupled with the sort of distribution that could come together to see him become a diminutive water-carrier or link-man.

IMG_20200105_065655.jpg

There is one last move that is currently being negotiated (as you can see from the screenshots), current number 1 D. BERTAUD is under offer - I was hesitant to let him go but I can't seem to break a bank balance of 2M (pitfalls but pleasure of the settings I started with I guess) so if I am able to get in a younger replacement for less, I will let him go to free up the cash difference.

Barring that, we host Southampton for the Prem opener!

• Like 1
  • Awesome! 1

Pre Season 4: Transfer Deadline Day

As alluded to in my last post we had virtually concluded business for the Summer but did have an outstanding offer on D. BERTAUD to field.

I was open to allowing him to leave for 600K provided a cheaper, viable replacement could be sourced.

A deadline day scamper unearthed Standard Liege's T. GALJ√Č (who looks a lot better now rated 69). At 200K it seemed like an ideal opportunity to sell BERTAUD, pocket the difference for¬†a back-up GK¬†capable of pushing C. FRUCHTL between the sticks.

The new acquisitions slot in as so:

20200106_085505.jpg

I prefer E. SABBI to M. WILKS but the latter is experiencing flashing development form and, as my most valuable player (6.2M), I'd like to maximise his development (value) before potentially cashing in on him as my buying pool is becoming frustratingly limited with a kitty of circa 2M.

M. WILKS is now up at 74 from 67 and L. MAI is a landmark player for the club being the first 75 rated player that we've got.

If I remain in the Prem this season, I will open up access to South America/Africa - markets Ive refrained from tapping into given Barnsely's status!

Cannot describe how gutted I am.

22 minutes ago, Sunzibad said:

Cannot describe how gutted I am.

?