Goat261

Guide for Defending

Shouldnt 5. be 6-10 @Goat261, so more compact and less widespread. And yeah agreed. I dont use square at all but that might be a bit extreme. I think you can use R1 when certain, but its deffo harder to use now. I only press X or 2X when close, I defend with R1 R2 (super cancel).

But yeah, everyone will have things which will work for themselves.

• Like 1

First off switch off 2nd player indicator.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vegasvoss said:

First off switch off 2nd player indicator.

I still have that on :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RiQ1987 said:

I still have that on :D

So did I until yesterday morning.Its just a mess imo and things work so much better with it off.

Yeah I see what you mean @Goat261. But I have got 3 misfielders, you have got 5. I cant spread out that much, would leave huge gaps in the middle. Will give it a go tho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rambovanhardnut said:

No problems here mate - stopped playing.

Edited by Sunzibad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah @Sunzibad s defence is Very good!! mine sucks lol!

did i read it right that it depends on the level of compactness how much space my players will give the opponent?

i have the feeling that my guys are always a few yards away from the opponent players and never figured out how to sort this out (was also the same in PES2017)...so when i use compactness 1 they will stay closer??

8 minutes ago, Fubar said:

did i read it right that it depends on the level of compactness how much space my players will give the opponent?

i have the feeling that my guys are always a few yards away from the opponent players and never figured out how to sort this out (was also the same in PES2017)...so when i use compactness 1 they will stay closer??

High compactness back 4: 0000

Low compactness: 0-----0-----0-----0

Its not about marking, its more about the space/compactness between the defenders

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Goat261 said:

I think 1-3 may work better on this pes which is opposite to previous few versions. Reason being that players seem to be more spread out across the pitch on this game, so if you play compact it gives the opponents a lot of space to play around you (unless you just want to sit in and let them have the ball until they make a mistake). Where as if you play on 1-3 bars your team also spreads out, meaning your players are much closer to theirs, allowing for immediate pressure. Im finding it easier to block passing lanes and much better for a high pressing game.

Ive only started trying it tonight (used to play 7 bars), so ill remove it from the list for now as it may just be a tactic thats working for my style of defending & formation. Defo worth trying though and see how it goes for you guys.

Heres a pic of me using it in a game vs Venom, as you can see on the radar, my players are right up against his players, hes got no where to go without being under pressure immediately. Where as on 7 bars i always felt like i had to run 10 yards to close him down, and by then it would have been too late, so i just had to sit back and wait for a mistake.

DJ-EFlMW4AEt6k_.thumb.jpg.fe34a95d76395245177553abf1946ca7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Qvart said:

High compactness back 4: 0000

Low compactness: 0-----0-----0-----0

Its not about marking, its more about the space/compactness between the defenders

makes sense and i thought its the only difference how much space is between the back 4 but how @Goat261 discribes this above it seems to have also an impact on the "marking"

11 hours ago, Goat261 said:

But try 1-3 bars for compactness

This does make sense, but the key to successful pressing is to win it within 5 seconds (all-out with everybody, so high compactness and high line).

E.g.:

But one can easily counter it through direct long balls and/or fast switching (Ajax - Mancs EL final), which is very hard to do in real life but it's not a problem in the game (assisted passing).

Often got murdered in the league last season because of it, but if it works it just feels soo good.

Back to the 1-3 bars.. I will try and use it as my second tactic, if I'm getting butchered again :up:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fubar said:

makes sense and i thought its the only difference how much space is between the back 4 but how @Goat261 discribes this above it seems to have also an impact on the "marking"

What I read is the fullbacks beeing closer to the wide winger due the fact he plays with lower compactness

45 minutes ago, Fubar said:

19 minutes ago, Qvart said:

What I read is the fullbacks beeing closer to the wide winger due the fact he plays with lower compactness

Its not just the defence but the midfield too (its the midfield where the biggest difference is, as before there was so much space in midfield), if i was playing my regular 7 bars, venom could have just easily passed to one of the two at the bottom of the pic for example. My player would have been 5-10 yards away from him, so by the time i drag someone out to pressure he would already be making the next pass and so on, leading to me either being very easy to pass around, or making me just sit back and wait for him to get to the edge of my box where i could outnumber him (the latter is how ive been defending so far).

It may only work for certain formations against certain styles of play, only judging it on one night, i played 9 games with 1 bar compactness last night and kept 7 clean sheets, was also winning the ball much higher up the field. The one time i played my usual 7 bars compactness, venom scored 4 lol. So think its worth trying out, and then just tweak it if its not working against a specific opponent.

I'm finding when I can stay composed sitting off is best . 

Keep shape as much as possible . Keep changing curser . Keep putting men in way of the pass option .

wont work all the time but the kunts run out of ideas and start going backwards . Eventually making mistakes 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Govie said:

Nobody gets down my left hand side as I've got 4 f**king left backs.

N0000000cmc0006a-00035D0001yJw000AG0000j

• Haha 3

As someone who doesn't use the right stick to change player and has kept the second player indicator on. 

I am rarely conceding, and finding L1 switching very effective with the new indicator. I am also using square a lot. 

So I think that there won't be a universal way to defend and you'll just have to do what works best for you. 

If I crumble, fair play I'm wrong. But I seem to be struggling much less than the vocal majority and I'm doing the opposite of most of these pointers. 

44 minutes ago, ParrishJ said:

As someone who doesn't use the right stick to change player and has kept the second player indicator on. 

I am rarely conceding, and finding L1 switching very effective with the new indicator. I am also using square a lot. 

So I think that there won't be a universal way to defend and you'll just have to do what works best for you. 

If I crumble, fair play I'm wrong. But I seem to be struggling much less than the vocal majority and I'm doing the opposite of most of these pointers. 

Gone back to whats worked for me previously.

Shouldn't have changed in the first place.

Defending still throws up issues but they're now not compounded by trying to defend in a manner I've never defended in.

Like you, I may get thumped (crumble) but i'm a lot more comfortable in what I'm trying to do, unlike trying to something I'm not familiar with or very good at.

Edited by Sunzibad

5 hours ago, Sunzibad said:

Gone back to whats worked for me previously.

Shouldn't have changed in the first place.

Defending still throws up issues but they're now not compounded by trying to defend in a manner I've never defended in.

Like you, I may get thumped (crumble) but i'm a lot more comfortable in what I'm trying to do, unlike trying to something I'm not familiar with or very good at.

Good to see you lighten up at least a little. 

• Like 1